Volunteer for our MLK Trails Restoration Event at LandPaths -now March 4th
Join CVNL, Landpaths, and California Climate Action Corps and volunteer to help restore trails at Rancho Mark West, an area that was impacted by the 2020 Glass Fire. This event is in honor of MLK Jr Day of Service and has been postponed to Saturday, March 4th.
Click here to sign-up
Date and times:
Saturday, March 4th from 9am - 1pm
Rancho Mark West Preserve, 7125 St. Helena Road, Santa Rosa CA 95404
Directions: From Santa Rosa, head down Hwy 12 towards Sonoma and turn left on Calistoga Road. After a few miles, turn right on St. Helena Road. Look for the LandPaths sign in the driveway. Turn right and then park in the small parking lot on the right.
Rancho Mark West Background and Volunteer Requirements:
Rancho Mark West is located on the ancestral territory of the Southern Pomo people and the Wappo people. Just 20 minutes from downtown Santa Rosa, Rancho Mark West is one of LandPaths' outdoor classrooms, community hubs, and is a place of refuge in the Mayacamas Mountains.
Rancho Mark West was hit hard by the Glass Fire in 2020 with high tree mortality that exposed hillsides to erosion. Come can lend Rancho Mark West a hand to help us restore the trails, making them safer for our youth and public programs. During this workday, we will build and repair heavily-used trails in mixed connifer forest. Having well-kept trails will reduce erosion on the hillslopes and allow easier access across the preserve.
Here’s a sampling of possible tasks that you will do to care for the land:
- Hiking moderate slopes
- Carrying tools to the trail site. Tools range in weight, from light to heavier
- Removing vegetation with rakes and loppers
- Reshaping edge of trail with shovels, mcleods, and pickaxes
- (We provide the tools!)
- Smoothening trail with shovels and rakes
What to bring:
- Please wear long sleeves, long pants, close-toed shoes, a hat, sun screen, and sun glasses. There may be poison oak in the area where we are working.
- We will have gloves on site but please bring your own if you have them.
- A backpack to hold your gear.
- We will have some snacks and water but feel free to bring your own drinks and food as well! Please bring a reusable water bottle for water refills.
- Volunteers must be age 10 or older
Interested in Volunteering?
All volunteers must sign a waiver to participate. Please click the link below to download and print the waiver and bring it with you to the event.
Volunteers age 14 - 17 must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver but can participate without a parent/guardian present.
Volunteers under 14 must have parent/guardian present at the event.
For more information about our Climate Impact Wildfire Prevention Project: www.volunteernow.org/climate-impact-project/
For more information about LandPaths: https://www.landpaths.org/
#MLK #MLKDay #caclimateactioncorps
Age Minimum (with Adult): 10+, Minimum Age:14+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. A team can be a family team, corporate team, or any kind of organized group. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: